Tuesday, January 20, 2015

GHOST MOON NIGHT by Jewel Allen

Source: ebooks for review (http://www.ebooksforreview.com/)
All opinions expressed are solely my own.

ABOUT THE BOOK

A Secret to Save Them All . . .

It was whispered years ago that when a pirate cursed a Philippine village with langbuan, or flying undead, a boy received a secret that would protect him from certain death. But even armed with a secret, can anyone survive the undead for long?

Seventeen-year-old Antonio Pulido has never known a time when the langbuan didn’t roam the streets every Ghost Moon Night, killing anyone in their path. He works hard to protect his family and the girl he loves from the deadly attacks, but he wants them stopped once and for all. Can Antonio uncover the decades-old secret and will it help him defeat the langbuan? Or will Ghost Moon Night come again and take someone he truly cares about? It falls on Antonio to save his village, but time is running out. The next Ghost Moon Night is nearly here and Antonio knows this is his last chance to destroy the undead and end their reign of terror -- or die trying.

REVIEW

Wow! I'm not sure what I was expecting when I picked this up, but this wasn't it.  I can safely say that this is different than anything I've ever read before.  I loved the setting, a small village in the Philippines.  I always find it interesting to read about places I've never been.  Antonio is an interesting character in that it is clear from the beginning that he is a complex character.  He makes some good decisions along the way, but he also makes some bad ones that have unpleasant consequences.  There were several different plot lines here that all blend together, like real life, as the choices of Antonio, his family and friends as well as enemies all come together to create a fascinating story with plenty of twists and turns.  I figured that Antonio would play a role in trying to break the curse, but it came about in a way that I really did not expect.

Interestingly, the book did not read like a zombie story, in fact I didn't really think about the langbuan being zombies until the end while reading the author's note.  Except for the parts where Antonio fights with the langbuan, most of the story felt pretty realistic.  The author did a great job saving up details for the big reveal at the end.  I had suspicions about some of the events of the story, but I was still very surprised at the end.  I thought that I'd already passed the climax when boom, something is revealed that changed everything.  It was a great move on the part of the author.  It's always fun when an author still manages to surprise you after you think you've figured everything out.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, even though it's quite different than anything I've read before. A culturally interesting read with some intense fantasy elements that add a nice spark to the story. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment